Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bobby Runk Debut Release: Good Company

BRIEF BIO ... The gist of the story:

* Bobby Runk, a musician since he was 8, spends career in insurance brokerage business (just like Tom Clancy!), but is gripped always by his creative impulses:

o First, Bobby writes and publishes (under penname Bobby Rusher) successful golf humor book in 1990 called HOW TO LINE UP YOUR FOURTH PUTT. Sells 55,000 on his own. In 2007, Expanded & Revised edition is published by Random House.

o In 2006, discovers Pro Tools, which allows him to capture and arrange his song ideas. Decides to get serious about his interest in music and, in particular, songwriting.

* Discovered! -- at the tender age of 59 -- by Gary Katz, the record producer particularly well-known for his Steely Dan work. They produce Runk's debut album, Bobby Runk: GOOD COMPANY

http://www.RunkRock.com

BRIEF COMMENTS ON THE MUSIC:

"Bobby, I'm pretty cynical most of the time, been doing this soooooo long in every aspect of the industry, so I've gotten picky about needing better songs to enjoy -- I just get bored with most radio stuff these days, it's so formula. BUT THIS SONG IS REALLY COOL. It reflects the best of early Motown in feeling & melody, but it is so original, contemporary. Eternally cool, Bob" - From Gary Earls, Nashville record producer, about the song, YOU WON'T SUFFER

"Bob, I emphasize that our planning how to maintain and enhance the unique quality of the music -- the vibe that already exists in those wonderful demos -- AND make it be a great record -- is a wonderful challenge, because the music is as honest and cool as it is." - From Steely Dan Producer, Gary Katz

LONGER BIO (Q&A FORMAT):

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: In a small town in CT.

Q: What made you realize that music was your path?

A: My dad was a great musician (piano), and he played with his band, The 7-City Seven, every Saturday night for years. The house would shake with rhythm on the nights they practiced at our house. It was exciting. He was an excellent classical pianist, as well as a jazz musician. I think he did some arranging for the Dorsey Band early on, but I can't confirm this. It was inevitable that I study the keyboard, and for seven years I studied classical piano -- then my dad taught me Boogie Woogie. Game over, essentially. I found I had a good ear, and I was a natural improviser. From High School on, I was always in a band.

Q: How would you describe the music that you typically create?

A: That is a very difficult question for me. Easier to describe what it is not. But I love songwriting, so the structure and lyrics and the musicality of the project are very important to me. I think I successfully create in a broad range of styles, but people say my music reminds them of Buffet, the Beatles, Eagles, Willie Nelson, Moody Blues, Tracy Chapman, I don't know. Please listen and tell me how to categorize my stuff!

Q: Who are your biggest musical influences?

A: As a kid of course I studied all the classics and I love Beethoven and Chopin and Mozart. And my dad played piano most like Art Tatum. And I grew up listening to Count Basie, Richard Rogers (and other American Musical composers), and the Big Band folks. Although I don't write in that style of course, I would have to point to this as an influence, at least a subliminal one. But: Chuck Berry -- whoops! What's up with that?? That sent me over the moon. When I first heard that stuff? Wow! Where did that come from? Of course, I love great songwriting, and my influences include The Beatles (who is not influenced by them?), Carol King, Dylan, Jagger, Bon Jovi, Jason Mraz, to name a few.

Q: What makes your music unique?

A: I sat down a couple of years ago and I said to myself, "Bobby, today you're going to write a Stones song." And guess what happened? I wrote a Runk song! But to quote my producer after our first meeting a year ago: "As I mentioned I think as interesting a project as it is, it also is a complicated one, in thinking and planning about how to maintain and achieve the unique quality of the music, the vibe that already exists in those wonderful demos, AND make it be a great record. It is a wonderful challenge, because the music is as honest and cool as it is." And another professional musician friend said: "Bob, your songs are both lyrically interesting and refreshingly melodious. Also, no small feat, while speaking to adult issues and concerns, the music is in no way awkward, or cumbersome; and your voice sounds ageless. Right on!"

Q: Has there been one particular moment in your musical career that you're most proud of?

A: Yes, when my wife first heard YOU WON'T SUFFER, she said "Bobby, what is that!? That is terrific! How did you come up with that?" I told her an angel came to me in the night. And, in a spiritual/symbolic way, I do think that is what happens when a good song gets "out." There is a muse, and you hope he or she stays with you forever. But the honest surprise and pleasure she expressed made me proud of the effort on that song. I am obsessed with songwriting now, so I hope the future will generate a bunch of Proud Moments.

Q: What's next for you?

A: I am working my second album – I have over 140 song projects now.

MORE COMMENTS ON BOBBY'S MUSIC

From Chris Frantz, Talking Heads: "Your songs are both lyrically interesting and refreshingly melodious. Also -- no small feat! -- while speaking to adult issues and concerns, the music is in no way awkward, or cumbersome; and your voice sounds ageless. Right on!"

From Gary Earls, Nashville record producer, about the song, YOU WON'T SUFFER: "Really, I'm pretty cynical most of the time, been doing this soooooo long and worked in every aspect of the industry, so I've gotten picky about needing better songs to enjoy -- I just get bored with most radio stuff these days, it's so formula. BUT THIS IS REALLY COOL. It reflects the best of early Motown in feeling & melody, but it is so original, contemporary. Eternally cool, Bob"

From award-winning recording artist, Tad Robinson: "Just now listening to the new disc. Wonderful! Congrats. It sounds great. The songs hang together so well. And the sounds are incredible. Great vocals, harmonies. Melody after melody. This is a real triumph, Bob"

From William F. Machen, lead guitarist for The Five Moons, Bobby's first band: "A potpourri of fresh and original songs for the New Millennium. A deft blend of the old, the new, and the blue, this collection evokes memories of better times in the music business. It was my privilege to play with the well kept secret that is Bob Runk. Don't miss it!"

From Producer - Gary Katz: "Bob, I emphasize that our planning how to maintain and enhance the unique quality of the music -- the vibe that already exists in those wonderful demos -- AND make it be a great record -- is a wonderful challenge, because the music is as honest and cool as it is."

From UNISONG -- comments on Runk's HAVE A HEART:

This melody is classic and modern at the same time - smoothly balancing between the two. Your range is not too difficult for a great many folks to sing, yet SOUNDS that way because of your clever chord choices. The verses are familiar, yet fresh sounding, and are very easy to sing along to; and the bridges really kick it up a notch, while still not straining the average voice. We really liked this recording and the arrangement -- including that great electric guitar solo-- and the Wurlitzer electric piano sounds great on this, too. Solid melody!

Does the lyric say something in a new and interesting way? Yes
Does the lyric work well with the melody? Exceptionally

Lyrically, we're pleased to say that we can understand every bit of this clearly, and it all rhymes nicely and makes a lot of sense. We also really like some of the fresh-sounding lines here. The ones we feel are unique include: "I am a violin that has no string" -- a nice new way to say "I'm nothing without you", and "Let's not start. There's nowhere to go, baby" -- an impassioned plea to keep things calm in their relationship!

Smoothly accomplished lyrics, Robert.

This is an A A B A type song - so this song is without a chorus. As it is, it works really well, especially by introducing a hearty solo to add another section element into it, so that when all is said and done - it sounds FRESH at every section change! Good job on this structure.

Although not PLACED traditionally, this unusually placed title works well, allowing the listener to recognize it AS the song's title, which is the first test for a proper title to pass.

Great song craft on this song, Robert!

From Craig Bickhardt, hit songwriter, on Runk's OVER & OVER:

Hi Robert. Ah, I miss Harry Nilsson. That's who I hear inside this song. I really like this one. I doesn't follow formula, and it's just quirky enough to sound genuinely inspired. The words are playful and instinctive. There's no point picking it apart for logic and stuff that makes no difference when a song just flows smoothly and entertains us in a consistent mood. This isn't rocket science, but it IS just as hard to write a great simple song as it is to write a great complicated one. Good work on this song.

http://www.RunkRock.com

No comments:

Post a Comment