Thursday, August 27, 2009

UM2N Review: P*L*A*Y AH by Swagga Jonez fka "Budha"

"I'm a P-L-A-Y AH Reason why your girl called and wanna break up Say she tired of scrubs, she need a moneymaker A hustler that do it big and ride On twenty two's and up And I'm that dude And I'm that guy They say it's so clean They say it's so fly And I'm that guy And I'm that dude And even when it's summer I'm still cool"

Download P*L*A*Y AH by Swagga Jonez fka "Budha" (mp3) | Buy it on iTunes

The track "P*L*A*Y AH" by Swagga Jonez fka "Budha" is somewhat of a musical paradox. I say this because it has some ole school flavor blended into a Hip Hop and Rap combination. But the irony doesn't end there. Usually, most rappers stick with one perception of women, but BUDHA mixes it up like he respects a portion of the female population and gives them their props, and makes it clear that he has only one use for the rest. I find that to be pretty interesting.

"My grandpa was a Mack My brother was too Treat a woman like a woman

Share a ho with the crew"

My favorite verse on the track is the following because he really hits a home run about the difference between being fake and being real:

"I'm an A+ You're an F- I'm an Obama You're a Clarence Thomas Justified player Justified mack You girl gone, bruh and that alone Justifies that"

Overall, the track has a nice beat and you can definitely dance to it (I know I did), but it doesn't quite complete the task of distinguishing itself from other rap songs. But Budah has collaborated with other well know artists such as producer Droop-E and rap legend Bun B of UKG, and these and other music affiliations will continue to shape him and his music, and as he continues to make music, I think he will become more comfortable with finding his "own sound." My opinion is that we'll see him come into his own with future releases.

http://www.IntroToBudha.com

Review by Michele Wilson-Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment